Recipes and Stories for a Full, Filled Life

John 10:10 - Jesus said, "I came that they (you and me) may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance - to the full, til it overflows.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Grandma's Apple Kuchen


This recipe really is from my Grandma! It is not in my cookbook, and it really is one of my favorites (what was I thinking to not include it?) Honey in this kuchen brings out the great flavor in the apples.

Crust:
1/3 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/8 c. flour
1 tsp. salt

Mix together the above and pat on sides and bottom of a greased 9" x 9" pan. (Note: if you only have an 8" x 8" pan, just toss some of the mixture.)

Add about 7 c. peeled and sliced apples.
3/4 c. honey
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. water

Mix honey, flour and water together and pour over apples. Sprinkle with lots of cinnamon. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 1 1/2-2 hours. You may need to cover with foil part of the time to fully cook apples. Serves: about 9

Did you know there are 7,000 varieties of apples in the world? Apple seeds were brought to America from Europe. The crab apple is one of a few varieties of apple that is native to North America.

No comments: